5 Tax-wise Charitable Planning Tips

Categories: Get Involved Tags: , ,


Maybe something about your experience with Adventure Unlimited has touched your heart, so you want to make a meaningful contribution. You might decide that paying forward the good you’ve felt can help another feel loved, valued and strengthened by the community in an A/U Ranches or DiscoveryBound program.

There are ways to realize tax benefits from your generosity.


The feeling that comes from making this possible for someone can’t be measured in dollars. But there are ways to realize tax benefits from your generosity, even with recent changes in tax law. Here are answers to five questions you may have been asking to make the most of your charitable giving.

  1. I have shares of stock that have grown in value. How can I avoid capital gains tax? You can contribute long-term appreciated assets, such as stock shares, to Adventure Unlimited. The tax deduction can be carried forward in multiple years if you reach the maximum allowed deduction in a single year.
  2. My charitable donations total less than the standard deduction. How can I realize a tax benefit? Donor advised funds (DAFs) allow you to bunch charitable gifts and alternate between itemized and standard deductions. You can donate multiple years of charitable giving up front to a DAF and distribute to Adventure Unlimited and other nonprofit organizations over time. This allows you to itemize the deduction for the large gift to the DAF and claim the standard deduction in other years.
  3. I’m retired and am at the point where I need to take a required minimum distribution (RMD). Can I do this tax-free? You can donate directly from your IRA if you’re age 70 1⁄2+. Request through your IRA administrator to make a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) up to $100,000. This counts against the RMD.
  4. Can I donate my cryptocurrency? Yes! Adventure Unlimited now accepts gifts in the form of Bitcoin, Ethereum and several other cryptocurrencies. Your cryptocurrency gift is tax-deductible.
  5. I want to reduce the taxes for my heirs in my estate. What’s the best way to do that? You can leave a bequest to Adventure Unlimited. It costs nothing today and is an investment in the future. You can also designate Adventure Unlimited as beneficiary of a retirement plan and possibly avoid income taxes (please consult your tax professional).

Learn more about wise gift planning here. You can also reach the Development department at 888.416.7348 x107 or [email protected].

Leave a Reply